Yoga is a perfect cross-training activity to keep your running world pain and injury free. It will help with stress in your body and mind. Adding a few key poses into your running will not only strengthen your balance, it will increase your body awareness and elongate your muscles. The following poses are not only great at releasing tension in the hip flexors, hamstrings and glutes, but they will also help you turn your attention to the finish line!
1) Leg Stretches will strengthen and stretch your legs to keep you injury free.
Leg Stretch Poses: Warrior I, Warrior II, Triangle, Chair, Wide-Leg Forward Fold
2) Hip Openers will give your hips freedom of movement.
Hip Opening Poses: Pigeon, Cow Face, Happy Baby, Goddess
3) Core Muscle strength is key for good running form.
Core Poses: Boat, Plank, Dolphin
4) Openness in your shoulders, chest and back will help you regulate your breathing and maintain good posture.
Breath Poses: Side Angle, Camel, Bridge
5) Strengthen your legs, feet and ankles while you improve your mental focus.
Balance Poses: Tree, Warrior III, Dancer